As you may be aware, I am attempting to shift the baby weight using the 2 day fast principles of the 5:2 diet.
I considered a number of options after having my daughter, but decided on this approach as it’s by far the easiest (in terms of preparation at least). With the majority of diets, extensive preparation and careful measuring seem to be high up on the requirements list – but when you’re fasting, you have less to think about rather than more.
This is pretty important for me since I can’t even remember to brush my hair on a daily basis, let alone set out a weekly meal plan to keep on track. When you simply don’t eat as much for 2 days a week, losing weight should be a breeze.
And it is quite effective. I don’t think too much about what I eat on the other 5 days of the week (although I try not to indulge my inner chocolate monster) and I’ve been steadily losing around 1-2lb a week. As it currently stands, I’m 2lb away from a whole stone 15 weeks postpartum. Woohoo!
However, it’s not all plain sailing.
If you’ve ever starved yourself (to fit into your sexy LBD; for a medical procedure; because you can’t be bothered to get off the sofa) then you know it’s not the most pleasant of experiences. In fact, hunger is a cruel mistress who will not let you forget her existence. If (like me) you struggle to deny these feelings and frequently give in to temptation, fasting 2 days a week may seem impossible.
But I’m here to tell you, it isn’t.
Instead, survival is all about doing the following to build your willpower and get yourself through:
- Stand in front of a mirror to remind yourself of the journey you still have ahead
- Look at old photos of when you were all sexy for inspiration
- Skip breakfast as it’s probably the easiest meal to miss. I then have a low cal snack for lunch and a weightwatchers ready-meal for dinner as this helps me pace myself throughout the day
- Distract yourself. Don’t sit around all day thinking about how hungry you are. Schedule all your important things to do on your fast days – you’ll be amazed how focused you can be when you’re trying to avoid all thoughts of food
- Pick good days to fast on. I do it on Tuesdays and Thursdays to avoid both the weekend and adding more misery to Monday. Other days might work better for you, but choose wisely
- Dream of tomorrow and all the food you’ll be allowed to eat. Oddly, this one really works for me as tomorrow seems so close. If I didn’t have a baby to feed at midnight, I’d probably be in bed by 8pm on a fast day!
- Finally, this is a bit of a naughty one and I’m sure I’ll get told off by some 5:2 dieters, but if I’m really struggling, I drink a Diet Coke (I know, totally unhealthy) to help fill me up. It’s only a last resort though as I’m sure sinking multiple cans of Coke isn’t great for anyone’s insides.
And that, my friends, is how I get through 2 fasts each week.
I may very well change my approach in the future, but for now, the convenience of fasting alongside the results I’m getting are well worth the hunger twice a week. If you’re also dieting to lose the baby weight, I’d love to hear your experiences and results, so please leave me a comment below!