Having a baby on a budget

Having a baby on a budget

Many people delay having a baby simply because they believe they cannot afford to.

And in a lot of cases, this may well be true.

But what exactly is it that people don’t believe they can afford? Having a baby doesn’t have to cost a lot if you don’t have the money to spare.

having baby on budget

Speaking from experience

I am a self-confessed save-a-holic. Not much fun, I’ll admit. But it really helps when it comes to the big things like house-buying and emergency car repairs.

I hate hate hate spending too much on things. I mainly buy my clothes from supermarkets and very rarely buy make-up or beauty products unless I run out of them. Large purchases are only made when I really need to.

If you are cringing at this, I don’t blame you – I sound like a bit of a saddo. But, it does mean that I have my house deposit ready for when I return to work and can look for a mortgage post-maternity. So in some ways, it’s not the craziest thing ever.

The truth is, expensive clothing, magic face creams and general luxury doesn’t interest me in the slightest. I’d much rather own my home and go on nice holidays – and of course, have my baby. The same was true of my wedding, but I’ll let you know how I spent so little on that (about £1k) next time…

So how do you have a baby on a budget?

The world today is all about appearances. Wearing the latest labels and buying the best brands. I understand to a point; a well-known brand is much more trustworthy than it’s cheaper counter-part. But is there really a difference?

It all depends on what you’re looking for.

I don’t need fancy gizmos and gadgets with my products, even if they are supposed to make my life easier (my life is hardly complex in the first place). I also don’t need something that looks superior, nor will I buy it simply because it is the ‘top brand’.

It is for this reason that I’m not seduced by the more expensive items and instead, decide what it is I need in a product, and then find the most reasonable one.

Furthermore, the excellent thing about having a baby is that you are well aware of this fact for about 8 months ahead of the event… giving you plenty of time for both researching items and finding them at the best value (and there will probably be about 20 Mothercare sales in this time too!). Make the most of the time you have and take advantage of every discount you find; it all helps.

So what did I buy?
  1. The car seat – I bought the Mothercare Ziba car seat for £40 in the sale. After hearing the guidelines that babies shouldn’t stay in car seats for too long, I didn’t fancy a complete travel system, so this was a pretty easy choice. I wasn’t fussed about the bells and whistles of the more popular brands, so long as it keeps my daughter safe (which it does), I’m happy.
  2. The pram – Another sale item I picked up was the Mamas & Papas lime green Zoom buggy (which I think was discontinued) about 4 months into pregnancy. The offer was too good to refuse (around £150) that despite not being a huge fan of the colour, I snapped it up. Luckily, it’s grown on me. And my daughter doesn’t give a toss what colour it is – she just likes being out in it.
  3. The cot – I wanted a simple, white cot bed for the nursery and the Darlington cot bed from Mothercare suited me perfectly. Once I knew I wanted it, I simply waited around for a sale and then bought it. Easy stuff.
  4. Feeding – If you’re breastfeeding, well, it’s free right? If not, you know what to do; pick up the equipment that you need in a sale. Stock up on powder beforehand – then it’s around £9 a week, which is hardly breaking the bank. I’d also highly recommend buying (in a sale again!) the Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep Machine; it’ll feel like a lifesaver.
  5. Clothing – Get the essential bits like vests and babygrows cheap from Primark or supermarkets over the course of the 9 months. Try not to get too sucked in to all of the cuteness as you will most likely get a barrage of clothing once the little one is born. Especially if, like us, you don’t find out the gender – suddenly it’s pink dress o’clock. I’d highly advise against buying anything too fancy or designer because it’ll likely be destroyed in a deluge of bodily fluids, but that’s totes up to you.
  6. Other bits and bobs – Ask for as much as you can think of as gifts if friends and family want to contribute. Nappies, changing mats, muslins, wet wipes and the like are all fairly cheap to stock up on or be given. Toys and books etc can also easily be collected over time.

Now obviously, this is just a bit of advice from someone who’s situation may be completely different to yours. And of course, if you want to spend your money on a sexy little designer pram, then I’m all for it.

This is just how I budgeted for having a baby and kept a lot more money in my pocket than I was expecting. As it turns out, having a baby really isn’t that expensive.

Mummuddlingthrough
You Baby Me Mummy

1. March 23, 2017 / 9:16 am

Some good tips here. I did spend on an expensive pram (well, I didn’t, it was bought for us), but with everything else I’ve been pretty frugal. Especially clothes. I’ve accepted all the hand me downs I’m offered! #coolmumclub

March 23, 2017 / 12:42 pm

Hand me downs are awesome – we got some from a family of boys but mixed in with pink, they look great! X

2. March 23, 2017 / 9:25 am

I think the thing with kids is, you spend as much as you’ve got, and you always want them to have better. So really you’ve never got enough money! We brought our cot off eBay for £6, and brought a new mattress for it! It’s as good as new, as it was a second cot at a grandparents house, so hardly used.

#coolmumclub

March 23, 2017 / 12:42 pm

Wow £6! That’s actually amazing! Totally agree 🙂

3. March 23, 2017 / 11:04 am

This is a great mini guide. When we had our baby both my partner and I ran our own start ups so we were massively on a budget but it can be done as this shows! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely xoxo

March 23, 2017 / 12:43 pm

Wow now that’s having a baby on a budget!! Thanks lovely 🙂

4. March 23, 2017 / 12:12 pm

We did the same, for everything in the sale (Best Buy was a travel system (pram and a bag car seat) from Kiddicare down to £79. For me the Tommee Tippee perfect prep seemed like a needless gadget, and I found it just as easy to prep the next days bottles in the evening (fill each bottle with boiling water, lid on and refridgerate. We’ve been cutting back elsewhere too, and it’s made a huge difference to he house fund! #coolmumclub

March 23, 2017 / 12:45 pm

Ah see the guidelines I read told me not to pre-prep bottles so that’s where the machine came in handy as she’s so unpredictable when she eats! That is actually amazing about the travel system!!

• March 23, 2017 / 2:16 pm

I read those guidelines too, but after speaking to my nan, my mum, my HV; all admitted that they had pre-prepped with their own children… the way I figured it was the bottle is sterilised, the water is boiled and rapidly cooled and kept that way until use… I guess many would stick with the guidelines, but I felt like i made an informed choice that worked for us… and the kids are fine, haha! X

March 23, 2017 / 3:23 pm

It sounds ten times easier to be honest!!

5. March 24, 2017 / 12:27 pm

Hi Lucy. I’ve left the baby years behind me. But your tips are so relevant to life in general. I totally agree that I’d rather pay off the mortgage and go on nice holidays rather than have lots of stuff around me. I am quite minimalist anyway and not a fan of stuff. So I try to be really mindful about the difference between what I want and what I need. And like you, I keep an eye out for a bargain! Great post!
    #TheListLinky

March 24, 2017 / 12:29 pm

Thanks Alisa!! I know everyone has different priorities, but thought it’s always helpful to know how others do it 🙂

6. Mom Of Two Little Girls
    March 24, 2017 / 12:46 pm

Great list. When I had my first daughter I was so scared and unsure I wanted everything everyone suggested and ended up wasting loads of money. I was much more savvy the second time around.
    #thelistlinky

March 24, 2017 / 12:50 pm

It’s so hard when you’ve got no idea isn’t it!?

• Mom Of Two Little Girls
        March 24, 2017 / 12:53 pm

Ridiculous. And everyone has their own opinions so you start listening to all of them and stressing even more.

7. March 24, 2017 / 9:55 pm

I once saw a device at Target that was an automatic formula maker, sort of like a coffee maker for formula. It was $150 (don’t know how many pounds that is, but its a LOT of dollars!) I couldn’t believe someone would pay that for a thing that mixes formula, when all you have to do is put powder and water in a bottle and shake it up!

8. For the love of jars
    March 24, 2017 / 10:10 pm

This is really interesting. I had my first baby on a budget and was more flush when I had my second, six years later and to be honest (apart from bedroom furniture) I probably spent less the second time around. The first time I felt I needed all this fancy equipment and used credit cards to splash out on loads of stuff! The second time I knew what I needed and what I didn’t and managed to get a lot of things second hand! #coolmumclub

March 24, 2017 / 10:41 pm

It definitely helps to know exactly what you need – before you have a baby, you’re pretty clueless. I bought some things I haven’t needed and had to rush out and buy other things that I hadn’t thought of!

9. Something About Baby
    March 27, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Agree with all of this – we went by the motto buy what you need, and as cheaply as possible. I was lucky that lots of our clothes etc were hand me downs, and I’m always looking for good quality/condition toys second hand. They grow out of things so quickly, it didn’t make sense for us to buy everything brand new. So I would definitely agree that having a baby doesn’t have to be expensive at all (until you return to work and get a HUGE childcare bill – this is what is stopping us having baby no.2 right now!) #coolmumclub

March 27, 2017 / 4:15 pm

Yes, I’m not looking forward to the nursery fees at all!

10. March 30, 2017 / 8:52 pm

I’ve found it’s not the baby that costs a lot – it’s the cost of my time when I can’t work that’s the problem… #thelistlinky

11. May 6, 2017 / 10:55 am

Brilliant. I never understood why people spent £££ on designer stuff for a newborn, when they’d likely wear or use it 2-3 times? Facebook sell it pages are ingenious. I’m always on there looking for bits and bobs!
    And you’re right, buying early saves on pennies in the long run too! Your baby doesn’t have to cost the earth!

May 6, 2017 / 9:34 pm

Oooo you know what, I’d never thought of Facebook sell it pages! Thanks for adding one to the list 😊