Making memories this Bank Holiday

Making memories this Bank Holiday

You work hard and can’t wait for the Bank Holiday to roll round for some much needed time with the family. (Or you’re on maternity leave like me, but still need a break!)

It comes. It passes. And before you know it, that glorious, work-free Monday is just a distant, fuzzy memory. So how about using this free time to not only make treasured family memories, but to keep them alive forever?

Bank holiday memory-keeping

My sister picked up a gorgeous scrapbook in a shop recently, and on impulse, bought it for me. She suggested I could use it to store precious memories of my new little family. Which will include pictures and other little tit-bits to help us remember this special time.

Bank Holiday Scrapbook
I realised that this was the idea I was looking for. And I wanted to spend dedicated time with my family putting it together, just to make it that bit more precious.

What should I put in my memory scrapbook?

Well firstly, I figured that you have to make some memories!

But finding places to take amazing photos of your family doesn’t need to be expensive. Our blissful Bank Holiday usually starts pretty simply with a lazy lie in.

Lazy Bank Holiday Lie In
This will most likely be followed by a lovely walk in the countryside to encourage Moo’s love of fresh air and nature. She is absolutely obsessed with trees at the moment – which makes for an entertaining walk! If your little ones are a bit older, a picnic or even family rounders tournament is an amazing way to have fun together for next to nothing. I already have to keep reminding my husband that she’s too little to hold a bat!

Bank Holiday Country Walk
If we’re feeling flush, we usually pop for a quick pit-stop at the pub. We might even get a cheeky bite to eat… let’s call it a ‘refuel’.

Bank Holiday Pub Stop
Even heartwarming moments at home could make amazing memories for the scrapbook. Cozy, snuggly evenings with the family watching a movie in your PJs may not feel particularly special, but as time passes, it’ll be these little moments that we’ll want to remember forever.

Should I add anything else?

Absolutely!

Mine is going to be filled with little mementos from our family days out, like tickets, postcards, and recipes, along with anything else we pick up. Β I’ll also bring it to life with descriptions of what we did or how we were feeling to help us remember and treasure moments-gone-by. It’ll be like a family memory journal that I can share with my children as they grow.

Bank Holiday Fun
Making memories is half the fun – but keeping them alive is going to be special. I’ve been toying with the idea of making it a Bank Holiday ritual, adding to the scrapbook as a family to keep the excitement alive. I love a good family tradition and I’ll certainly be taking credit for starting this one!

So if you aren’t feeling particularly like Mr Money-bags right now but want to make the next Bank Holiday special, pick up a scrapbook, your camera and glue stick and get capturing all the moments that would otherwise pass you by. Your future self with the grown-up family will thank you for it πŸ™‚

Do you have any ideas of what else I could add to my scrapbook? Let me know in the comments below!

We’ve been asked to work with Provident on their β€˜don’t break the bank holiday’ campaign to advise families across the UK about activities on a budget.

1. May 17, 2017 / 2:43 pm

I have a scrapbook in my cupboard that I meant to make for my daughters first year. She is now 3 :O so I have no tips unfortunately but well done on starting! ox

May 17, 2017 / 5:02 pm

Haha I can see myself starting and then putting it down somewhere… but I’m going to try! 😊

2. May 17, 2017 / 3:16 pm

This is really cute – I love to keep memories together. Some of my favourite things to do are free, and I agree that it’ll be the little moments that we cherish as we grow older. Great post! x

May 17, 2017 / 5:03 pm

Thank you lovely – it’s all about appreciating the little things isn’t it!

3. May 17, 2017 / 8:14 pm

I’m the same as Amy, I’ve got one and been meaning to start it but my little girls also 3 now too lol. I might see what I’ve saved from previous days out of holidays and see if I can throw something together to make a start πŸ™‚ x

4. May 18, 2017 / 8:04 am

I’ve collected loads of bits and bobs, I keep/buy something from every new place we go to, and take way too many photos. I haven’t actually put a scrapbook together yet but I have a huge box of memories, (he’s only just turned one)!

May 18, 2017 / 8:09 am

That sounds like a great idea to get something from every new place! Might start doing the same 😊

5. Something About Baby
    May 18, 2017 / 9:33 am

I love this idea! I’m not so good with actually remembering to fill stuff in, hence my son’s baby book and first year photo album remain unfinished. But I do save all the special bits, perhaps you could start a new “thing” everytime you go out, like we always collect a shell or pebble when we go to the beach and put that in his memory box with the date and what we did that day.

May 18, 2017 / 5:32 pm

Oh I love this idea! So glad I made this post now as I’m getting some great inspiration 😊

6. Charlotte Zealey
    May 18, 2017 / 10:22 am

This sounds really fun i loved scrapbooking I did it for my mother in laws birthday I documented Jess’s first nearly year and it loved it so much. I think that I might have to do something like this however, I know i will never end up doing it . Good luck filling up your scrapbook with special memories.

Charlotte x

May 18, 2017 / 5:33 pm

Thank you – I’m hoping I stick to it… although not making any promises! πŸ˜‚

7. May 19, 2017 / 8:21 pm

Oh such a lovely idea something you will be able to look back on and really treasure xx

May 19, 2017 / 10:18 pm