I’m not really a brand new blogger anymore, but since I’ve written about being a newbie twice already, I thought I’d round it off nicely with one more post.
I’ve now been running Muffin top mummy for three months and wanted to share my progress and updates. The wins, the losses and everything else in-between.
I’m still loving the blog-life and it has completely changed my maternity leave for the better. If you’re reading this and wondering whether to start, I totally recommend it!
A brand new blogger… the good stuff
- I’ve been included in two more Britmums round-ups this month – both the poetry and the book review posts.
- I’ve written my first sponsored post (yay!) and have been sent some brilliant things to test out and review. I’m still working on how I want my sponsored posts and reviews to read as I’d like them to tell a story and be engaging. I’m happy with how my first ones have turned out, and will try and stick to the same style.
- The utterly amazing Sarah from A mundane life blog created a brand new logo for Muffin top mummy. I’m sure you’ll agree it’s very cool! I actually asked for something completely different and boring – but she worked her magic and won me over with this beautiful design (FYI I’d totally recommend her if you’re looking for a new logo. She hasn’t paid/begged/bribed me to write this either!).
- Following on from the excitement of my logo, I also designed some business cards. Now technically, I don’t go anywhere to hand out these cards… but I figured it’s best to be prepared, right!?
- I also decided to up my picture game and so purchased a beautiful first set of stock photos from Little Paper Swans. In fact, I went one step further and signed up to her phone photography course which started this week. Her pictures are gorgeous and I figured I’ve got a lot to learn in the photography department. I’m hoping that these 2 purchases combined help make everything look that little bit more professional and appealing. Plus, it’s always handy to have more skills!
… and the challenges
- My monthly views are still pretty low (so thank you for being one of them!). I’m sure it’s a combination of being so new in the blogging world and still trying to pin down my style. They’ve been rising monthly, but the impatient child in me wants to see them shoot up!
- On the subject of developing my style, I’m still trying to pin down my voice, niche and what I bring to my blog readers. I’ve got some ideas of the direction I’d like to go – but since the blog is still in it’s infancy, I’m sure a strong style will develop naturally anyway.
- I’m hoping my DA will increase from 1 this month as it should be enough time for Moz to pick up my blog and all of the guest posting I’ve done. Fingers crossed!
- I’ve finally succumbed to trying to grow my Pinterest account. I’ve been testing Tailwind and Boardbooster and I’m currently totally stuck about which one I’m going to use. It hasn’t really boosted my traffic yet, but I can see how it might eventually lead to big views.
- Managing my time is still a huge challenge – deciding whether to blog, plan, guest post or work on one my social channels is tough. With only so many hours in the day and most of them taken up by a cheeky little madam, investing my time wisely is my ultimate goal. I’ve resigned to the fact that right now, I’m still finding my groove with it all. I’m hoping my groove materialises one day!
So there you have it, possibly my final brand new blogger update.
I’m sure I’ll catch you up every so often, there’s so much to learn and so many opportunities to grow. Please let me know in the comments if there’s anything else that you think I should be focusing on – as always, I appreciate your help!
The Tale of Mummyhood