Does my baby even like me?

Does my baby even like me?

So if you follow me on any form of social media, you’ll have seen recently that I’ve been a bit miffed.

My daughter loves her Daddy. The minute she sees him, her face lights up and she vibrates with excitement. In fact, she’s sometimes so excited that she actually cries. Yes, she worships that man.

Now of course, I’m happy that she loves her father. A daddy/daughter bond is so special and my heart fills with love when she does her ‘oh my god it’s daddy and I just adore him‘ dance.

Baby and daddy

But what about me?

I’m with the girl 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We eat, sleep, breathe each other and I thought we had a bond beyond anything I’ve ever known.

So when I leave for a few hours to attend work appointments or run errands, I expect full-on fireworks when I return.

But no.

I walk in the door, all excited, arms wide open with a big ‘guess who’s back bitchezz’ grin. And she barely looks up. There isn’t even a hint of acknowledgement in her squishy little face. I could have been taking a 3 hour long poo in the next room for all she cares.

And that cuts deep.

I want the tears of joy. I want the buzzy excitedness. I’m not trying to raise a clingy baby, but come on, a bit of interest towards mummy wouldn’t go amiss!

It can’t just be me?

I decided to reach out to the lovely blogging community to find out if I’m alone in this blatant rejection. And thankfully, it seems to happen quite frequently.

Becky, from Mommy and Rory:

‘My little boy is the same! He’s 17 months. I’m at work all day, come home and he looks at me like I’ve shit in his bed! But when Daddy comes home he’s all about the kisses and cuddles!’

Ayse, from Arepops:

‘Daddy goes to work everyday and my little girl is still heart broken after 3 years of the same routine… I went away for the weekend for the first time and came home and she cried when she saw me (and not tears of joy)! I tried not to take it personally, she had just woken from a nap!’

Rosie, from Mum in the Midlands:

‘My daughter used to only be really excited to see daddy, but since I’ve been back at work, she’s the same with me! Absence makes the heart grow fonder.’

Sophie, from Life as Mrs D:

‘I think it’s a phase, my daughter (13 months) did this for a long time, but is now really clingy with me again. She is funny at the moment and gets really excited when she sees Daddy is home and runs over to him, but when he goes to pick her up she turns around and runs away from him, and starts crying if he does manage to pick her up!’

Emma, from Me and B make tea:

‘I travel for work and i get this too. It wasnt until my son hit around age 3 that he truly misses me and is delighted to see me come home. He literally jumped in to my arms last year when i was away. It was lush.’

Clare, from Mumsy midwife:

‘My little one shouts dada all the time. Me? She calls me lady. Fml.’

Laura, from Five Little Doves:

‘I have been away this week from and returned home yesterday at the same time as my husband returned from Tesco. As we both went into the house, having not seen the children for four days, I held out my arms to hug them and they ran straight by me and to DADDY who they had seen just an hour earlier!!!’

Jenna, from Then there were three:

‘My daughter is like this… she’s just turned 2 and my husband works away Monday to Friday – you can bet on a Friday evening as soon as she hears his bike pull up she will want nothing more to do with me until Monday! She literally will not come near me the whole weekend; she’s a real daddy’s little princess!’

What happens when daddy is the fave

So it really isn’t just me

OK ladies, you have officially calmed my fears (and given me some giggles in the process). I think I’m taking from this that it’s either just a phase, or she’s a Daddy’s girl.

Either way, I’ve got to pull my big girl knickers up and get on with loving the rascal anyway!

I’m sure she likes me really. Hopefully. Maybe.

Have you been through the same? I’d love to hear any stories and/or advice in the comments!

3 Little Buttons

1. June 30, 2017 / 3:14 pm

From the other side of the fence (I’m a dad with a daughter): It is great that my little one is happy to see me but often she wasn’t so happy when Mummy came home. But I managed to change that a bit by being excited at the time which my wife would be returning.

What I think was happening was my wife would talk about Daddy coming home and get her excited. But then I wasn’t doing the same when she went out/returned. It is easier to do if it is a set time of day but maybe a text could help the anticipation?

June 30, 2017 / 3:23 pm

Ohhh do you know what, I do also get excited and make a big deal about daddy being home… you may well have hit the nail on the head here! Thank you Andrew 😊

2. Fay
    June 30, 2017 / 5:49 pm

You’re always there, you’re the constant, you spend more time together, so she knows you’ll always be back soon. As she spends less time with daddy it’s more exciting because he’s not always there. Don’t take it to heart, I’m sure in time
    at some point the shoe will be on the other foot.. for example when she’s not feeling well.. X

June 30, 2017 / 6:03 pm

Thank you Fay – I hope so! I did think that it’s maybe because she thinks I’m just around somewhere – I just wouldn’t mind a smile or something 😂 I’ll be ready and waiting when she needs a cuddle from mummy x

3. June 30, 2017 / 7:56 pm

What a brilliant post! Thank you so much for featuring my comment and CONGRATULATIONS on being mumsnet blog of the day!!!

June 30, 2017 / 8:26 pm

Thank you lovely – and thank you for contributing!! 😘

4. July 1, 2017 / 9:58 pm

Nothing changes 10 years on, I dont get missed or certainly my boys dont admit to missing me. Daddy is the definite favourite. One of my friends told me to take this as a back handed compliment cause I have been their constant, ie always around to pick them up from school etc. The other day older boy (who has just started making his own way home from school), told me off cause he thought I was waiting for him, I wasn’t I was talking to two of the other Mums. See my post thischarmingman

July 1, 2017 / 11:40 pm

Haha I hope this is the case – it sounds like it, they don’t ever need to worry about where you are because you’ll always be there somewhere to have their back! It makes sense. I hope she knows I’ve got her back 😊

5. July 2, 2017 / 7:51 am

My daughter was exactly the same when she was little. You’re always there so you’re taken for granted a bit! Xx

July 2, 2017 / 5:26 pm

This is so reassuring that it isn’t just me! X

6. July 4, 2017 / 10:46 am

Oh it’s definitely not just you. My baby and my 3 year always seem more excited to see their Dad, my 3 year old begs him not to go to work most days but couldn’t care less if I went out. Think he sees me too much xx #dreamteam

July 4, 2017 / 7:21 pm

Yeah I thought leaving her overnight with my mum would be the one… but no, she didn’t even look at me but went straight for daddy 😂 I think you’re right! We’re always around x

7. July 9, 2017 / 1:52 pm

Oh I feel your pain lovely. Our daughter is all about Daddy and pretty much tolerates my existence. I got my own back with The Boy though as he would quite happily live in my pocket given the chance. He’s a total mummy’s boy. It’s kind of like we have one each which is nice haha. Thanks for linking to #DreamTeam x

July 9, 2017 / 5:22 pm

That’s so cute – I need one to live in my pocket! Daddy can have this one, but I’m going to keep popping them out until I’m the favourite haha 😂