I accidentally booked a holiday, sans enfant

I accidentally booked a holiday, sans enfant

I didn’t mean to.

I tripped, fell and pressed ‘send‘ on the text that told my sister to add me to her spontaneous summer holiday booking.

For four days and four nights. To Majorca. Without the baby.

And now, I’m having a mini breakdown.

What on earth was I thinking!? I miss my baby when I pop to the next room for a wee. Granted, she couldn’t care less if I was there or not. But we’re working on that…

The truth is, I’m not worried about her.

I’m worried about me

Moo has Daddy all to herself – and as her father, I’ve got no qualms about leaving him to fly solo for five days. In fact, I’m looking forward to him discovering how intense it really is. It might stop him from occasionally tutting when he discovers the washing up hasn’t been tackled, again.

Plus, she is absolutely crazy about her Dad, so I’m pretty sure she’ll be over the moon to spend so much time with him. Well, as over the moon as a 9 month old baby can be. An eye-gouge here and a hair tug there ought to show her appreciation well enough.

No, I’m not concerned about her well-being one bit.

I’m worried that she won’t miss me.

I have a horrible, sneaky suspicion that I’ll spend those four nights sobbing into my sangria about how much it’s killing me being away from my baby. (Yes, you could argue I’m the idiot that booked the holiday, but I told you – it was AN ACCIDENT!) All the while, she’ll be merrily playing with Daddy and Grandma and her Auntie – none the wiser that mummy isn’t there.

I should probably be grateful that she doesn’t need me. I know a few other mothers who wouldn’t even be able to consider going away for a few hours, let alone days, because of the attachment their baby has with them. I’m proud that she’s so fiercely independent.

But as I’ve spoken about before on the blog, I also have a selfish need for her to want me.

After all, isn’t mummy supposed to be a baby’s world?

I accidentally booked a holiday...

I might be at the centre of her world, but she’s more than happy to orbit off to all the other planets. It’s just something I have to accept. And that I’m starting to come to respect. She doesn’t NEED me, which means when I get a snuggle it’s because she WANTS me. I appreciate all the times she reaches out for me or looks around to check I’m there. It gives me the warm and fuzzies.

I’m hoping that a brief trip away won’t ignite that desperation for mummy, but will instead give me a little perspective. Being totally fine apart from her and knowing she’s safe and happy will no doubt inspire gratitude. I’ll see my contented baby for what she is – a strong, independent blessing. A bad-ass, if you will.

So really, all there is left to worry about is my bottom. Most notably, the size of it. Yes, I know I’ve drivelled on about being comfortable in your own skin – and I totally am. But nothing says ‘step away from the chocolate’ like the need to bikini shop in 2 weeks!

I’ll let you know how my final push to ditch the baby weight goes… I might even share a cheeky snap on Insta. Oh, you lucky lot!

Have you ever accidentally gone away without your little one/s? Let me know how it went in the comments!

This Mum's Life

Rhyming with Wine

1. July 31, 2017 / 11:17 am

Maybe, when you come back, she’ll be like your shadow? Then you’ll be sorry 😂 But, I bet, get a few cocktails in you and you’ll fine!

July 31, 2017 / 12:48 pm

Haha yeah I’m very aware that I moan, but I’d probably moan if it was the other way round too 😂 oh I’ll have a cocktail then if you insist!! X

2. July 31, 2017 / 3:46 pm

I would be freaking out too! I am not a helicopter mom, but I am definitely a mom who doesn’t take time away from her little ones…I took two nights with my husband for a trip to vegas when my two oldest were just 1 and 3 and it was really hard…I literally made myself sick! Don’t fret, she will be fine with daddy, and she will miss you…don’t freak out so much tha tyou can’t enjoy your time, you need this time for all the parenting to come! #bigpinklink

July 31, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Thank you so much for the advice – you’re totally right, I’ll only regret it if I don’t let go and enjoy it! If I was that bothered, I shouldn’t have booked it, so may as well make the most.

3. popcornforlunch
    July 31, 2017 / 4:36 pm

Hahaha you had me at ‘I accidentally booked a holiday…’ So funny and witty as always!! Bloody go and enjoy yourself, happy mummy = happy baby. Apparently once kids hit 3 they lose all their memories from up until then* so as long as you come back before she hits 3 it’s all good. xx #bigpinklink
    *I might have made this up but can’t be sure.

July 31, 2017 / 9:08 pm

I have to come back before she’s 3!?! Ruin my fun why don’t you…

4. August 1, 2017 / 3:10 pm

It’s a big step, leaving them for the first time. Hubs and I went on honeymoon for a week when our middle son was 2.5 and I was really worried how we’d all cope. But we enjoyed the break and he was spoiled by grandparents, so it was a great experience all round! I’m sure you’ll be fine once you’re on that plane…a few cocktails should help!
    #bigpinklink

August 1, 2017 / 6:32 pm

Haha I’m loving this cocktail theme! I’m going to aim to enjoy it as best as possible as I know she’ll most likely be having a whale of a time with daddy! X

5. August 1, 2017 / 5:53 pm

haha awww this sounds like paradise, stop worrying and just enjoy it, I think we put too much pressure on us mums and we just don’t take the “me” time we deserve, my hubby goes to the pub quite a lot with his friends yet if and when I can go I’m constantly worrying about the children at home…why! go and bloody enjoy yourself! #dreamteam

August 1, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Awww you are so motivational, I’m almost ready to get up and go now 😂 you know what, you’re totally right!! The pressure for us is huge – I should just bloody enjoy it x

6. August 1, 2017 / 8:08 pm

I would blame it on your sister, enjoy the free time X #dreamteam

August 1, 2017 / 8:16 pm

Haha that’s a great idea, thank you!

7. August 1, 2017 / 9:09 pm

OMG four days and four nights without a child in MAJORCA!! That is literally my fantasy right there!! Have a fantastic time and enjoy your ‘I’m an actual person not just a mother’ time as I think those sort of breaks are a ‘must have’ to gain back some sanity and store up must needed energy. xx #bigpinklink

8. August 2, 2017 / 7:45 am

Oooo I hope you can enjoy your holiday. Good luck. #dreamteam

August 2, 2017 / 8:43 am

Thank you! I’m sure after all this whittling on, it’ll actually be easy 😂

9. thismumslife
    August 2, 2017 / 12:42 pm

Ha!! I’ve never accidentally booked a holiday away from my children, but did go away for three nights when the eldest was about the same age as your daughter! And I felt exactly the same-I knew the disloyal little thing wouldn’t miss me at all, and although it’s hard to know for sure, judging by all the pictures and videos I was sent of him having the best bloody time ever, and not asking for me once, I really don’t think he missed me…! However, I couldn’t go away and leave either of them now, at 4 and 3, they’d both go batshit about it, as awareness is so acute! It’s much easier to leave them when they’re little, so go and get blind drunk and enjoy it-she won’t let you in a few years…! 😉
    #bigpinklink

10. August 8, 2017 / 10:08 am

Oh I’m totally with you on this one, I have only been away without Emma once and it was so weird but so worth it. It kind of took me a few days to get used to it as it’s so autopilot to be thinking and worrying about our babies. Thanks for linking up to #dreamteam xx

August 8, 2017 / 10:12 am

Thank you lovely – I know, I’m sure I’ll be jumping awake in the middle of the night thinking she’s been too quiet! Thanks for having me 😊