My body is beautiful because… a brand new guest series

My body is beautiful because… a brand new guest series

Welcome to my new guest post series ‘My body is beautiful because…’

I originally set up Muffin top mummy 3 months after having my first baby as a way to track and motivate weight loss.

My postpartum body is beautiful

I wasn’t happy at all with how I looked.

I’d consumed rather a lot during my pregnancy (like most of us probably do) and was irrationally shocked that it didn’t all drop off again by 6 weeks postpartum. After all, aren’t we bombarded with images of celebrities and Instagram stars ‘bouncing back‘ (as they say in the media – not entirely sure anyone gets to go ‘back’) just minutes after producing a human?

As it turns out, it’s not always as easy as they make it look. In fact, their methods are probably not safe for the average new mother either. Give me a personal chef, trainer and full-time nanny and perhaps we’d be in business. Otherwise, it’s often a bit more of a mission to get back into shape.

My body is beautiful – my story

I’m now heading towards the magical mark of 9 months postpartum and two major things have changed:

1) I’ve eaten well and exercised regularly, taking me to nearly a 2 stone weight loss

2) I’ve realised that my ultimate goal is not to change my body, but to fall back in love with it

Now, these two points may appear to contradict one another, but let me explain.

I’ve been working towards losing weight in a healthy, safe way not simply because I want to be ‘thin’, but because once the baby was out, I was overweight. My BMI was not ideal, and so regardless of how I looked, I wanted to change that and become healthy again. I’ve also always been somewhat fit and active, so returning to exercise was non-negotiable.

But I still don’t look like I used to. I’m still around a stone heavier than I was before I had my beautiful daughter. I still don’t fit into my pre-pregnancy wardrobe.

Working with me

And do you know what?

That’s OK!

I know now that it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Maybe I’ll get there one day. Perhaps I won’t and I’ll settle somewhere in-between. I’m fine with either scenario. I still think my body is beautiful.

Why?

Because I’m fed up of being told I should be worried about it. I lived and breathed the idea that I should be a certain size or look a certain way until I realised that it wasn’t going to change the way I feel.

In fact, when I look back now on pictures I took of my slimmer self, I find the whole situation ridiculous. At the fittest I’ve ever been, instead of strutting about and owning my bad-ass self, I was looking at a picture and thinking I needed to lose ‘a bit more’. Β I did not. I looked pretty damn good (if I do say so myself).

When I stopped obsessing

In reality, I’ll never be happy with myself until I just let go and allow myself to be happy.

Once I’d stopped obsessing about ‘getting my body back’, I was free to focus on all of the things that were far more important to me than whether my hips were too wide to wear a skirt. I’ve pursued my dream of kick-starting a writing career. I have built up my training to comfortably run 5k again. Β And I’ve fallen deeply in love with a little girl who is my absolute best friend.

If I do not fit your definition of ‘beauty’ – I don’t care. If you look at me and pass judgement – great, judge away. The only opinions that matter to me now are my own and my daughter’s. And even more importantly, the only thing my little girl will ever hear is how happy I am with myself.

Even if I cave. Even if I have a day where I have a wobble and forget everything I’ve just said. Or if I start to resent my lumps of bone and skin (because that’s all they are at the end of the day – seems a bit silly to get worked up about it really). Whatever I feel about myself, my daughter will only ever know that I am happy and confident. I’ve spent way too long on the other side of that relationship to know exactly where she’d end up otherwise.

Positive body image for my daughter

All bodies are beautiful

On the flip side to my own body confidence revelation, I appreciate that not everyone feels the same. It’s incredibly hard to let go, especially when insecurity is all you’ve ever known.

I want to tell you that no matter what you think, you are beautiful. But some random woman on the other end of a keyboard is not likely to convince you of this fact.

All I ask is that you try. A body is a body at the end of the day – there is so much more to life than worrying about what anyone else thinks of it.

And guess what….?

My body is beautiful because I say it is.

My body is beautiful because

I’ve got some wonderful posts lined up in this series – the first of which will be featuring on the blog next week.

I’m so excited to host a variety of bloggers and brave souls sharing their own personal take on the phrase ‘My body is beautiful because’, so please allow them the space to open up and offer only kind words of comfort, compassion and solidarity. Our bodies are beautiful and it’s time we acknowledged it!

If you’ve got a “My body is beautiful because” story to share and would love to be featured, then I’d love to have you. Get in touch and email me at info@muffintopmummy.com for some more information and join us as we celebrate and commiserate together!

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

1. August 11, 2017 / 8:27 am

Wonderful post. I’m approaching 50 and my body has changed shape. I’ve had to make peace with it – although I won’t pretend I’m elated, rather I’m tired of being unhappy about it! My body made two incredible humans and that’s good enough for me x #Blogstravaganza

August 11, 2017 / 12:51 pm

Yes I completely get that! I’m still working on mine to get back to being healthy and to look my best. But I’m certainly not as bothered as I was! It is what it is and I’m happy about that x

2. August 11, 2017 / 8:41 am

I love this! So positive. I’m really glad I read it, is given me a nice boost #blogstravaganza

August 11, 2017 / 12:51 pm

Ah I’m so glad to hear! Thank you so much 😘

3. August 11, 2017 / 8:54 am

This is a great post! so positive! I put on 5 stone with my first and then lost it all and put on 2 with my girl only just getting back to my pre pregnancy weight but my bodies not the same and I don’t think it ever will…but that’s ok it gave me my babies! #blogstravaganza

August 11, 2017 / 1:32 pm

Exactly – if it were a choice between my baby and my body, well, you know what I’d choose! Thank you so much 😊 x

4. popcornforlunch
    August 11, 2017 / 10:31 am

Great post Lucy, really loved this. I’ve struggled massively with post-baby body image yet; as you did, I’ve looked at photos of me so much slimmer and clearly remember thinking I could still do with losing weight, which would have been utterly ridiculous! You sound like you’re doing amazing things and have found an inner happiness with it all. And how much you adore your little girl really comes through in this too! #Blogstravaganza

August 11, 2017 / 1:36 pm

Aww thank you lovely! I decided that muffin top mummy could either be about struggling to lose weight, or celebrating your body shape regardless… and just like that, I realised it’s a choice! I’ll still have bad days, I’m not that OTT crazy confident, but a weight has certainly been lifted 😊

5. August 11, 2017 / 10:41 am

What a wonderfully positive post! Three children later I am still not close to my ideal weight. Learning to take things slowly and celebrate progress and health instead of an end goal number has been a big learning curve. #Blogstravaganza

August 11, 2017 / 1:38 pm

I think we all have a postpartum journey to go through with our bodies – I’m really hoping that getting some great bloggers together to share theirs will help in the same sort of way that we share the trials and tribulations of parenthood! You’re absolutely right – progress and health are number one! X

August 11, 2017 / 9:26 pm

Thank you!

6. Sarah - Mud, Cakes and Wine
    August 11, 2017 / 2:45 pm

What a lovely post and a good read for all of us coming to terms with our bodies. After three mine is in revolt hahahaha #Blogstravaganza

August 11, 2017 / 9:27 pm

Thank you Sarah! Hahaha in revolt πŸ˜‚

7. August 11, 2017 / 9:24 pm

This is a fad idea for a series and I really love this post! I was really small before I had children and even then I thought I was too big. Now I’m a good healthy weight and the happiest I’ve ever been, because my children have taught me that there is so much more to life than being the skinniest person in the room. Thanks so much for hosting #Blogstravaganza and for sharing such a great post xx

August 11, 2017 / 9:32 pm

Thank you lovely – and how fantastic is that, ‘so much more to life than being the skinniest person in the room’. I couldn’t have said it better myself! Thank you for having me 😘

8. August 11, 2017 / 9:37 pm

I love this post – we are so quick to point out our flaws. I have become more confident with my body since having children. I’m not happy with it, I have just realised how amazing it is to have grown two children. I still need to learn to love it but like you said, it’s a marathon #TriumphantTales

August 11, 2017 / 11:08 pm

Thank you 😊 yes, I agree – it all takes time! Glad to hear you’re feeling more confident though x

9. August 12, 2017 / 1:04 pm

“I’ve realised that my ultimate goal is not to change my body, but to fall back in love with it” Love this!

August 14, 2017 / 11:11 am

10. August 12, 2017 / 7:39 pm

As I approach 50 I realise that my body has given me so much. 2 wonderful children, strength and fun! My body is changing shape but that’s ok too. Give your body time after a baby. Great post. #blogstravaganza

August 14, 2017 / 11:11 am

Thank you! I couldn’t agree more – there’s no instant ‘fix’ except perhaps changing your mindset 😊

11. August 12, 2017 / 11:14 pm

I never got my pre-baby body back and my eldest is 13 and my youngest is 6. Unfortunately I’m not OK with it. I wish I was, but I’m not! I’ve lost the majority of my weight but have never been able to get rid of my final stone…one day it will go!! #blogstravaganza

August 14, 2017 / 11:14 am

Oh I’m certainly still a ‘work in progress’ – I have a similar amount that I’d like to shift, I’m just relaxing a bit more about it and trying to enjoy everything else without worrying so much about my weight! X

August 14, 2017 / 11:15 am

Thank you 😊 it’s all a balancing act, but it’s certainly the way you look at it that defines whether you’re confident or miserable x

12. mackenzieglanville
    August 13, 2017 / 1:57 pm

wow I love this. It is so important to love our body, when I was trying to get pregnant and having miscarriages I really seemed to lose any love I had for my body. But after giving birth I could see what an achievement that was, it helped me build more confidence and see my body as amazing for growing this perfect little person. #Blogstravaganza

August 14, 2017 / 11:19 am

Ah that’s so great to hear! I know that it’s not realistic to tell people to love themselves all the time – it’s a challenge for us all at some point in our lives. But I’m so happy you were able to find that confidence again! It’s a great perspective to have x

13. August 14, 2017 / 3:52 pm

It\’s fantastic that you’ve reached a point where you are happy in yourself #Blogstravaganza

August 14, 2017 / 4:19 pm

Thanks so much 😊

14. August 17, 2017 / 12:49 pm

“….my ultimate goal is not to change my body, but to fall back in love with it.” This is everything. Thank you for sharing this post – definitely something I needed to read to stop being so hard on myself!! #blogstravaganza

August 17, 2017 / 12:54 pm

Thank you so much – I think there are so many things out there telling us we shouldn’t be happy with ourselves, it’s so hard to be a bit kinder! X

15. August 18, 2017 / 8:08 am

This is a lovely idea for a series and I love your attitude towards body confidence. I have always been small ane borderline underweight, not through diets of anything like that it’s just how I am. I have always felt like I’m not allowed to have body hang ups because there are so many women who would love to be my size. In reality though I do have loads of insecurities (not so much now) but no one wants to hear a skinny girl moan about their body. Good luck with the new series xx #blogstravaganza

August 18, 2017 / 10:42 am

Thank you so much Wendy! This is exactly why I wanted other people to share their stories and a few people have sent me posts with a similar point. I don’t think anyone can ‘win’ in the body stakes – you’re right, it’s a bit like you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t!! X