Writer’s block and overwhelm – a blogger’s nightmare combo

Writer’s block and overwhelm – a blogger’s nightmare combo

I haven’t posted one of my own, opinion-based blog posts in a while.

This is mainly due to combination of writers block and a little bit of overwhelm. Neither of which is conducive to blogging.

Why am I stuck?

I think one of the issues is that I don’t have a particular niche or cause that my blog stands for.

I don’t support anyone, I don’t educate on anything, I simply share my thoughts and stories as and when they come up.

It’s not that I don’t have anything to say. In fact, I have plenty of ideas for blog posts lined up. But when I go to put pen to paper nothing flows. Which is incredibly irritating for me, a writer, when usually everything flows so quickly I can barely get the words down.

I’ve been trying to take time away and just write a few review posts to help keep the creative juices flowing. However, the desire to put content up and keep my blog relevant is pretty strong. I’m stuck in a catch-22 of not being able to write, but desperately wanting to. It’s incredibly frustrating.

What’s up with the overwhelm?

On top of this, I’m facing a return to work in the next couple of months and I think this isn’t helping my overwhelm.

There’s a lot going on in terms of mental preparation (ie. how the hell am I going to leave my baby girl with strangers!?). And I’ve started wondering how I’ll juggle blogging, baby and part-time employment. Plus, I’ve also just rejoined the gym in a bid to get fit before Christmas.

It’s a lot for a self-confessed lazy girl to take on!

Now, I’m well aware that other people deal with far greater issues than being stuck with their blogging. And I think that’s why I didn’t really want to write a post about it – but hey, if I’ve got nothing else to write about then at least this flowed semi-freely!

Stay tuned

I’m sure I’ll be back shortly with buckets of hilarity and interesting content. At least, I really hope I will be.

I’ve loved to my blogging journey so far and I really don’t want it to end. But I think I need to take a bit of pressure off myself and just try not to control the content too much. It probably doesn’t help that I read so many ‘how to’s‘ on blogging that it ends up sapping the fun out of it sometimes.

I have seen enough posts of a similar ilk from more established bloggers to know that I’m probably not alone in feeling this way. I’d hazard a guess that we all go through it at some stage.

I need to find the fun in blogging again – rather than it being a chore. And above all, I’d like to discover my ‘why’.

Why do I blog? What can I share that will help people? What is it that Muffin top mummy brings to the table?

*Update* After writing this earlier in the day, I did what any soul-searching woman would do… I used my renewed gym membership to sit and consider life from a great big jacuzzi. This highly important spa trip helped me to relax, refocus and identify what I want to do with my time. And don’t worry folks, blogging is still very much on the agenda. I’ll just be a bit more chilled about it!

Have you ever gone through blogging block or overwhelm? Let me know how you dealt with it in the comments below (pretty please)!

Dealing with writer's block and overwhelm as a blogger

Rhyming with Wine

1. October 18, 2017 / 1:12 pm

It’s so frustrating having writers block! I had it on my other blog (ironically, about writing) and I still haven’t gone back to it! Will at some point, but that’s why I started my mummy blog – I found I had a lot today about my motherhood journey! Thanks for sharing! #dreamteam

October 18, 2017 / 2:09 pm

Oooo so a change of direction (albeit a new blog) worked for you? Perhaps I might try and shake it up then to see if it helps! Thank you 😊 x x

2. October 18, 2017 / 1:48 pm

Oh no! But I do love the idea of contemplating all from a giant Jacuzzi. It sounds like fun. Anyway. You know what, I don’t tend to get writers block. I’m the opposite. I have too many ideas and not enough time to get them out. It’s incredibly frustrating (as like the opposite of it). I think the answer is exactly as you have described. Take it easy, take off the pressure and get your blog on when your fingers are ready. Thanks so much for sharing with the #Dreamteam xx

October 18, 2017 / 2:11 pm

Haha the best revelations happen in giant jacuzzis! Even just writing this post definitely helped clear it a little so I’m looking forward to getting back to it soon. Thank you Annette! X

3. emmaology
    October 18, 2017 / 7:30 pm

Snap! Really struggling with the work-blog-life balance at the moment 🙁 hope you get back in the groove soon x

October 19, 2017 / 11:40 pm

Thank you Emma – you too!! I’m not even back at work yet to be fair, so not sure why I’m moaning… 😂🙈 x

• emmaology
        October 20, 2017 / 5:31 am

Were all entitled to a whinge every now and again!! x

4. October 19, 2017 / 5:04 am

Happens to all of us at some point, and it just shows that you’re a human being. You’re not alone! Im sure your ideas will be coming along very soon, don’t worry 🙂
    #dreamteam

October 19, 2017 / 11:40 pm

Awww thank you lovely! Things are slowly starting to flow again now! X

5. October 19, 2017 / 9:05 pm

You are not alone lovely! Every time I hit publish I think “Right. That’s it. There’s nothing left in the world that I could possibly rhyme about.” … and then 5 mins later my daughter sticks her face in a chocolate fountain in a shop and I find myself wondering what rhymes with “Worntons” 😂 I think the trick is to remember what you enjoy writing about and just keep the pressure off. Give yourself a break. Have a jacuzzi even haha. Hope your mojo returns lovely as Blogland would not be as much fun without you in it. xx

October 19, 2017 / 11:42 pm

Haha oh I need you in my life Dawn – can you please just sit in the corner of my room rhyming & giving me motivational tips once an hour? 😂 you make me want to write even when I have nothing to say! X X

6. October 20, 2017 / 2:21 pm

This is such an honest post and I totally get where you’re coming from. Just remember that you have a voice and we DO want to hear it. Also, whether your issues seem big or small, they are just as important as everyone else’s! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza xx

October 20, 2017 / 3:12 pm

Oh I knew you’d have something inspiring to say Zoe – that’s why I love your blog so much! I think I’m going to try and write through the block and see if that works! Thank you so much for the encouragement, it means a lot 😊 x

7. talkingmums1
    October 20, 2017 / 7:29 pm

It’s really frustrating isn’t it! It seems a fairly common theme at the moment, I’ve heard a few say they’ve come to a full stop when it comes to writing. Maybe it is all the overwhelm thats getting in the way of your creativity. Really hope we continue to hear form you x
    Thanks for joining #Blogstravaganza

October 21, 2017 / 12:25 pm

Thank you 😊 I agree – I think creativity works best when you’re not thinking about 10 other things at the same time. Even this short break has helped refocus so I’m sure I’ll be writing again soon! X

8. Sarah - Mud, Cakes and Wine
    October 20, 2017 / 9:13 pm

Love this post and know how you feel. My last post I re wrote about six times. Felt like inhad lost my voice. Strange feeling. Take it easy on yourself and we love it when you are back #blogstravaganza

October 21, 2017 / 12:26 pm

Thank you Sarah – yes, I’ve been re-reading the reviews I’ve done in the meantime and they don’t feel like ‘me’. But I think I’m getting back there – just need to remember I’m writing for the fun of it and not because Mr Stats needs me to 😂 x

9. October 26, 2017 / 9:17 pm

Going to BlogOnXmas made me think about the direction of my blog but haven’t had time to implement changes! Time is my issue! #blogstravaganza

October 27, 2017 / 1:55 pm

Yes I’m the same – keeping it all ticking over takes up most of the free time I have! X